Jim Marta, Golf Instructor
Where do you provide instruction?
Cordova Golf Course where I provide both private and group instruction.
How long have you been a professional golf instructor?
I have instructed for 29 years at Cordova Golf Course and 8 years in San Jose.
What is your training philosophy?
I work with the students' strengths. It's important to match personality and body type with little adjustments. Finally getting them to repeat the golf swing.
What are the three major flaws you find in most golfers' game?
- Swinging on the defensive (don't bend that arm, don't move that head, keep the right elbow close to hip, keep the heel on the ground). Instead golf should be played on the offence.
Which is more important: the physical or mental side of golf?
Good physical will lead into good mental.
What is your most memorable personal golfing experience?
I once got an eagle on a par-5, followed by a hole-in-one on a par-4, then another eagle three holes later.
What three words best describe the game of golf to you?
What is your favorite course to play near where you live?
Turkey Creek Golf Club in Lincoln, CA
What SKLZ training aids do you use?
I really like the SKLZ branded golf bag. Products I use are the
- Gyro Swing to help students with getting the club on plane
- Smart Glove to teach better ball contact
- Slice Eliminator to teach inside out swing path
- Power Wedge for weight shift
- Practice Pod for alignment
What is your favorite SKLZ training aid and how do you use it with your students?
While I really enjoy the staff bag because SKLZ is a great company my favorite training aid is the Gyro Swing because it is fun and the students get it right away.
Find out more at:
Jim Marta Instructing Student